My apologies for not posting anything yesterday. Hopefully that was the last time for now, and I should be able to fully focus on the blog again from now on 😀
Now here’s Alcator’s article for this week. Enjoy 😀
Every time I install a game that is a sequel in an established game series, I take that little time to dream for a while – what will be in the game? Did my wishes come true? Is Gordon finally going to drop that stupid crowbar and pick the Zero Point Energy Field Manipulator that I dreamed of? Will my Sims be finally able to get HIV positive? Will space ship Enterprise finally explode, or, better than that, crash into the Vogon’ spaceship?
Most often, I’m disappointed by the game. Not because it would be bad, but because something is missing. Something I really hoped for but didn’t come. Gordon keeps his crowbar, Sims never got into a situation where you-know-what, and Enterprise keeps bringing democracy to the outer reaches of the universe.
So, without further delaying, here’s my list of 10 things I’d love to see in the next Trackmania.
1. Loop tiles for Rally. Rally suffers from lack of stunt tiles, all you can do in it is drive or jump. Or crash. Or fall into water.
2. Banked/Sloped intersections for Stadium. So far, when you need to intersect a banked road and a slope, you have to intersect them at different height levels.
3. Wallride corner tiles for Coast. So far, you can do a wall-to-wall jump, but you can’t turn the coast car on a wallride. It might be amazing.
4. Team starts/CPs/finish gates. So far, all cars have to start from the same gate and pass through the same CPs. It could be interesting if it was possible to either create more start/finish gates, or to tick “Mirror display for team modes”, which would mean that the game would “mirror” the track for one team during racing.
5. Relay mode for team racing: 1 racer from each team races, when he finishes, the next racer starts. Total of all (say 3 or 4) racers from one team is counted. Unlike in round mode, here all racers would have to finish (even with CP-respawn, which would be allowed).
6. Checkpoint elimination mode. In CPEliMode, any car that does not pass through the next checkpoint within 1 second from the time when the leading racer passed it, is eliminated from the race. CP-respawning IS possible. All cars start at the same time.
7. Ability to store values (i.e., a new track type “set value” / “modify value”).
8. Ability to trigger clips based on position AND value (such as “only trigger this clip if value *CPs passed* is 3 or more”); this might require to allow branching on triggers (such as “if the car passes through this location, then: if Value is 0, do…., if Value is 1, do …., if Value is 2, do…. “), but it’s still very understandable even to non-programmers and it could enable some pretty cool stuff, such as “Counting how many shortcuts the racer has discovered” or “Telling him how many checkpoints he has yet to pass”; re-use tracks could be easily fitted with proper navigation tips etc; it would even be possible to create complex “Quest-like” tracks (Go from A to B, then from B to A, then again from A to B…).
9. Split-view! Defining multiple viewports (“camera positions”) and displaying different stuff in each during replay, intro, or race – CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT? Functional rear-view mirrors! Replay that compares cars going on different lanes after split! One thousand elephants!
10. Light sources. The ability to place virtually any number of spherical or conical light sources that then lit the scene. No more struggling for space to be able to position that light column on Coast – just chose any position and put an invisible light source in there.
And what would be your ten most desired things for the next TrackMania? New environments? Which ones? Feel free to express yourself in the discussion…